The Ocean Neighbors Project is an 8-week volunteer opportunity that connects the Aquarium of the Pacific with your local community. Participants will receive a large sign to display in their yard or window that includes laminated prompts used to educate their neighbors about the animals that call the Pacific Ocean their home. Participants will log-on to a 1-hour interactive lesson about a specific group of marine animals each week. Participants will then select a species from that group to research and will conduct independent research about the animal that they choose. Participants can post the information to their sign and display it for their neighbors to learn about marine life.
Check out our video for more information
- Participants must be in the 6th -12th grade by the start of the program.
- Have reliable internet access
- Able to attend weekly meetings (via zoom)
- Able to work independently
- Attend training session
- Pick up supplies at the Aquarium on specified date if you live within 35 miles from the Aquarium. For those living outside the specified radius, you will be offered the opportunity to have materials mailed to you.
Spring 2023 Session: March -May (8 weeks)
- 2/20/23: Applications Open
- 3/12/23: Applications Close
- 3/21/23: Training Online Meeting 5pm to 6 PM PT (Required)
- 3/25/23- 3/26/23: Material Pick-up (at the Aquarium of the Pacific)
- 3/28/23- 5/30/23: Tuesday Evening Online Meetings, 5 -6 PM PT
Notes for application:
- A completed application is required for consideration and will include an additional document that needs to be uploaded to the application - a personal essay. We require a short, written essay from the participant telling us why they would like to join the program.
- Please be sure that when applying to select a username and password that the prospective participant will remember. They will need this information in the future. The email used should be one that gets checked on a regular basis, as this is the primary form of communication regarding updates, deadlines, and Aquarium information.
- All applications will be reviewed after the deadline, and correspondence including acceptance will be notified via email.